Improve Your Self-Confidence and Self-Image With Breast Augmentation
Breast Augmentation Surgery in Fargo, ND
Breast augmentation surgery is currently the most common cosmetic procedure with over 280,000 breast augmentations performed annually in the United States. Whether you have always had small breasts or you lost volume during childbirth or weight loss, the most current breast implants provide enhancement while maintaining a natural look and feel. Breast augmentation adds fullness, rejuvenates the breasts, and improves breast symmetry. This can be achieved by the placement of an implant behind the breast or with fat grafting.
There are many different techniques for performing breast augmentation, however, Dr. Adams specializes in minimal scarring techniques. Prior to scheduling surgery, Dr. Adams and our staff will meet with you for a thorough consultation where we discuss all of your options.
The first step in getting a breast augmentation procedure is a consultation with our surgeon, Dr. Adams! At Center for Plastic Surgery, we use consultations to understand your cosmetic goals and review your treatment options. From your initial consultation to surgery day, to your follow-up appointments – Dr. Adams and the team at CFPS are here to educate you through the entire experience.
FAQ: Breast Augmentation
Is breast augmentation surgery painful?
Some discomfort is to be expected with any surgical procedure and this can vary widely from person to person. In general, patients undergoing breast augmentation surgery experience moderate discomfort for the first few days. Dr. Adams will prescribe pain medication before surgery to control the discomfort and allow you to rest comfortably during your recovery.
Which type of breast implant is better, saline or silicone?
Both types of implants have advantages and disadvantages. The choice of breast implant is made easier after your consultation with Dr. Adams. Some of the advantages and disadvantages of each implant type are:
- Saline Breast Implants:
- Lower cost
- Smaller incision
- Less natural feel and appearance
- Silicone Breast Implants:
- More natural feel and appearance
- Multiple shapes and levels of firmness available
- Higher cost
- Larger incision size
- Saline Breast Implants:
Do breast implants ever need to be replaced?
- Modern breast implants have come a long way from first-generation implants. Modern implants are durable, strong, and long-lasting. We do not recommend replacing breast implants unless there is a problem. Yet, breast implants do not last forever. We always tell our patients that implant replacement is likely but often isn’t necessary for years after initial surgery.
What are the risks of breast augmentation surgery?
- All surgical procedures carry some risk and uncertainty. While many types of complications are possible, the overall risk of having a complication with breast augmentation surgery is low. Although not a comprehensive list of potential complications, the following include some of the most common major complications.
- Capsular contracture
- The most common complication is capsular contracture, which occurs when the scar capsule that forms around all implants begins to tighten and contract. This tightening causes the implant to distort in shape and changes the appearance of the breast. Usually this only occurs on one side leading to asymmetry between the breasts. In addition to changing the shape of the breast, it can also cause the breast to feel firm or even become painful in more severe cases. One of the most frustrating things about capsular contracture is that we don’t know what causes it or what type of patient will develop it. If severe enough, capsular contracture will require another surgery to correct the problem.
- Implant rupture
- No breast implant lasts forever. Young patients undergoing breast augmentation will likely need their implants exchanged at some point in their life. This may be due to a break in the implant shell due to wear and tear over time. If a rupture occurs with a saline (saltwater) implant, the saline is absorbed by the body relatively quickly and a change in the size of the affected breast can be seen early soon after. If a gel (silicone) implant ruptures the gel slowly leaks out from the shell and usually stays within the scar capsule or just outside the capsule. Ruptures of gel (silicone) implants are harder to detect because the material remains behind the breast. An ultrasound or MRI may be required to detect a ruptured gel implant. If a rupture occurs, an additional surgery is required to removed and exchange the implant.
- As with any surgical procedure, excessive bleeding can occur at the surgical site. This can cause swelling, pain, and significant bruising on one side. Bleeding is quite uncommon but would require another operation to treat the problem.
- Sensory changes
- Some women report sensory changes to their breasts and nipples after surgery. This can be oversensitivity or decreased sensation. These sensory changes usually return to normal within a few weeks after surgery but in rare cases can be permanent.
- Infection following breast augmentation is quite rare. We take great care in the operating room to minimize all risks to infection. In mild cases, oral antibiotics may be all that is needed to treat the infection. If the infection becomes severe it may require a surgery to remove the implant until the infection clears at which time another implant may be placed.
- In addition, like any medical device, breast implants carry a risk of complications. Patients should make themselves aware and consult with Dr. Adams about potential complications with breast implant surgery including Breast Implant Illness (BII).
What should I expect during my Breast Augmentation consult with Dr. Adams?
- During your consultation, Dr. Adams will determine if you are a good candidate for breast augmentation and you will decide if Dr. Adams is the right choice for you. The consult starts with a full health history that focuses on any previous breast illnesses. All women over the age of 35-40 (or younger in women with a strong family history of breast cancer) are required to have a mammogram a year before their surgery. During this consultation, it is also important to let your surgeon know if you smoke, take any medication or supplements, or use other drugs as these can have a significant impact on your surgical outcome.
- Dr. Adams will perform a focused exam of your breasts to evaluate your skin tone, breast tissue, and any present asymmetries. Measurements and photographs will be taken to assist in determining the optimal breast implant size for you and to assist with planning and evaluation of your surgery.
- Using all of this information, Dr. Adams will provide his recommendation on which approach is best for you, as well as various alternatives. The risks, limitations, and expectations will be discussed so you can make an educated and informed choice about your surgery. Additional details of the procedure will also be discussed including, the type of anesthesia used, the location of the surgery, and the costs involved.
- Throughout your consultation it is very important to listen carefully to the limitations of each procedure and approach and openly discuss your expectations with Dr. Adams.
- By the end of your consultation you may decide to go ahead with surgery and schedule a date. If, however, you don’t feel fully informed or are unsure, don’t hesitate to ask any and all questions. A second visit is always available to answer additional questions or discuss the procedure further.
Can I combine my breast augmentation with other procedures?
It is very common to include breast augmentation with other procedures that can further enhance your results while undergoing one recovery period. As discussed above, if your breasts have excess sagging or you are unsatisfied with the position of your nipples, incorporating a breast lift with your breast augmentation can dramatically improve the overall appearance of your breasts and figure. Combining abdominoplasty with augmentation, commonly referred to as a Mommy Makeover, is also done quite frequently. Other procedures including, liposuction, fat transfer, and nipple reduction are also often coupled with breast augmentation. Dr. Adams will guide you through each procedure and identify a surgical plan that can be done with the least amount of surgery to meet your individual goals.
How long is the recovery from breast implant surgery?
- Following breast augmentation surgery, you are likely to feel some soreness for the first few days. Dr. Adams will prescribe a multimodal pain-control regimen to control your pain and allow you to rest. Most patients will only need pain medication for the first day or two after surgery. You are encouraged to be up and walking as soon as you are able. The entire recovery process can take several weeks, and patients will need to rest until they are fully recovered. Most of the swelling and soreness improves within the first few days and any residual swelling and soreness is usually resolved within a few weeks. Most patients can begin light exercise 2-3 weeks after surgery and are unrestricted with activities by 6 weeks. Dr. Adams will let you know what your individual recovery plan will be following surgery.
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
The best candidates for breast augmentation are patients that are unhappy with the size of their breasts that understand the limitations involved and have realistic expectations.
How much does breast augmentation cost in North Dakota?
- The cost of breast augmentation can vary depending on implant choice, the facility your breast augmentation is performed at, and the complexity of the procedure. After your consultation with Dr. Adams, we will provide a detailed cost estimate, and will also discuss payment methods, scheduling, and financing options. In general, price shopping for surgery isn’t recommended. It is best to choose a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with, trust, and one that has the proper training from an accredited plastic surgery training program. Visit our Financing & Fees page to learn more.